Sunday, May 27, 2007

Google Summer of Code

Hi to everyone. I am participant of Google Summer of Code 2007. If you don't know what does it mean, you definitely should visit this link.

I have one highly interesting idea related with IM (Instant Messenger), it is remote logging (what is this I'll describe  lately)

So I was needed in IM for implementation of my idea, and I've chose Pidgin. Frankly speaking I didn't use this IM before, but now I'm sure that was good choice.

Why I think so? Because:
  • Pidgin is free software available under the GNU General Public License. So everyone can obtain code and modify it;
  • Pidgin supports many commonly used instant messaging protocols, such as ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, IRC and many others;
  • Pidgin is multi-platform instant messaging client and it is very useful because I work with Windows and FreeBSD at home and with X 10 at University;
  • Pidgin has multiple account access support, this is also very useful nowadays, because sometimes we have several accounts, as for me I have ICQ, MSN and Yahoo account
  • Pidgin has rather convenient and considered structure because it is divided into an interface, and a library which handles protocol. Thus Pidgin has different interfaces such as Graphic User Interface (known as Pidgin), console interface which named Finch and even web-interface accessible on http://www.meebo.com/
  • And the last but not the least is that Pidgin is rather popular IM client.
Also, I would like to add, that Pidgin has a great future, cos it has great developer team, so I am very pleased to have this opportunity to work with this development team.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.