Sunday, August 12, 2007

Database logger in progress

I've payed attention to libdbi, because I'm really like it's database independency and I think this is really what we need :)

On Ubuntu everything is really simple, but for Windows I had some problems.

For building Window's Pidgin we use Cygwin and gcc from MinGW.
Pre-compiled libdbi and libdbi-drivers binaries from the official site are built by Cygwin gcc, so
this libraries are not what we want for Pidgin. Thus we need rebuild them
using MinGW gcc.

After severl days work I got libdbi and mysql driver which needn't cygwin DLLs. So my test example passed successfully.

Now I'm currently working on Windows implementation of Database Logger, but really it doesn't matter, because it'll take a little time to make *nix version.

For simulation of asynchronous work with DB, I've used new thread and mutex for thread synchronization.

For Windows implementation I've choosen glib's threads API. We can do so, because on Windows GTK+ is necessary library

11 comments:

Uni7 said...

Have there been any updates to this project? And is there a targeted release date?

I love the concept of this plugin btw.

Anonymous said...

Have been checking your blog for so many weeks for updates and hope you are still progressing.

Really hope it will come out soon and will keep watching.

Unknown said...

How is the project coming along?
Can we dowload it soon? Will it be a plugin? Will you release the source?

Michael Shkutkov said...

Hi guys!

Sorry for my silence.

I'm trying to answer on all your questions.

>Have there been any updates to this project?
The last updates were made in the middle of September.

>And is there a targeted release date?
Actually, no

>How is the project coming along?
I had finished almost all work in September, so at present moment I need to fix bugs and to make patch for libdbi.

>Will it be a plugin?
Yeah, it is a core plugin.

>Will you release the source?
The source is available all time, because this plugin is a part of Pidgin.
For this work im.pidgin.soc.2007.remotelogging branch is used.

>Can we dowload it soon?
I hope so, but the main problem is that, I had changed Pidgin's log API (it was were rewritten in non-blocking style), so we should wait for appropriate moment for merging with trunk.

So, I am going to finished this work. I think that the most important for this moment is suggest patch for libdbi.

P.S. Thanks for your comments, it's really pleasant to get feedback.

Eric F said...

I had this exact same idea as a great feature for Pidgin. I am glad to see that you are doing it. Keep up the good work I hope to see it merged in to the main branch soon!

Uni7 said...

Good luck with the project.

Anonymous said...

Its great to hear that you still working on it. Thanks for your hard work. Will keep watching.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

can't wait for this plugin
let me know when i can get this

also, if there's any way i can test this or help move this along, let me know

i don't know how to program but i can help in the web programming field (php+mysql)

Anonymous said...

Any news?

Petr Sedlacek said...

Hi Michael,
Could you please provide an update on your remote logging development for Pidgin? What happened to it? The wiki page suggests it's more or less feature complete, but there has been no update since 2007. I think it would be really great to have this plugin as logging in Pidgin is currently really disappointing.
Thanks a lot!
Pete